Youth Leadership Committee
Introduction & Contact Info
The Youth Leadership Committee is a youth leadership opportunity in Southern Florida. Committee members of the group attend monthly meetings, elect officers and work together on fundraising projects to help make wishes come true.
Through this committee, students learn valuable skills such as leadership, organization, budgeting and planning, that will be helpful in college, at work and beyond. Started in 2014, the YLC raised more than $200,000 to grant life-changing wishes! Our goal is to grow this program into a network of youth across Southern Florida that will ensure that every eligible child’s wish is granted.
***The Youth Leadership Committee is currently accepting applications in Broward/Miami-Dade counties. See below for membership requirements. Click here for an application if you live in Broward/Miami-Dade counties. ***
If you’d like to learn more about the Youth Leadership Committee, please contact:
Jackie Perl, Senior Special Events Coordinator
Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie,
Indian River, Okeechobee, Monroe, Highlands
954-967-9474 ext. 323
Taylor Norman, Special Events Coordinator - Southwest Florida
Collier, Hendry, Lee, Glades
239-992-9474 ext. 24
In order to be a member, you must:
- Live in Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, Collier or Lee County and be passionate about helping kids with critical illnesses
- Commit to activities on a one-year term basis. Membership terms will run July 1 to May 31. Member may opt to reapply for another term
- Interview will be held in early July
- Attend monthly meetings during your term to learn about the mission, brand standards, and fundraising procedures at Make-A-Wish
- Have a committed adult advisor (parent, teacher, or counselor) who is willing to help you during your term and attend meetings
- Create and execute your own fundraiser with support from your advisor, the Youth Leadership Committee, and Make-A-Wish mentors
- Be willing to communicate quickly and effectively by phone and email
- Work together with the YLC to advertise and organize several fundraisers each semester with the goal of funding more wishes
As a member, you will have the opportunity to:
- Network with Make-A-Wish staff, business professionals, and other youth who are passionate about volunteering and philanthropy
- Develop leadership skills that will help in a future job search or college applications
- Make a difference in the lives of children with critical illnesses
- Earn volunteer hours
- Receive a certificate of completion
- Have a lot of fun!
Jazz Night at Sandoval
Maddie Young, a student at Cape Coral High School and veteran of the YLC utilizes her community’s clubhouse to host a Jazz Night with food, music and fun. The event continuously raises over $1,000 for Make-A-Wish Southern Florida.
Mac & Cheese Challenge
The Mac & Cheese Challenge is organized by the Southwest Florida YLC each year. Chefs from around the region bring their best recipes and compete for the community’s vote. From crab mac to fried mac & cheese balls, guests are tempted with delicious bites while enjoying music, games and raffle. The event has raised over $22,000 since its inception and continues to grow each year.
An Evening in France and Tennis Tournament
LouIsa Cadiou, a 15-year-old whose brother was a wish child, held five private dinners at her house as well as a tennis tournament at the Veranda Golf Community. Together, her efforts have amounted to $25,000 for Make-A-Wish Southern Florida. The money she raised is enough to grant five wishes!
Southeast Florida Youth Leadership Committee
Ariella Ciuraru- President
Alex Diament- Treasurer
Aditya Kapadia- Marketing Chair
Sophie Rubinowitz- Vice President
Southwest Florida Youth Leadership Committee
Carson Batcheller Kirchgessner
Angelina Crawford Frantz
Addie Jenkinson – President
Payton Ziegler – Vice President