WAYNE, NJ - (November 8, 2012) - Toys“R”Us® today announced that it has launched a campaign to benefit Make-A-Wish® this holiday season, engaging its customers through its Wish List service to help Make-A-Wish grant even more wishes to children with life-threatening medical conditions across the country. Now through October 19, for every Wish List created in-store or online, the company will donate $1 in Toys“R”Us gift cards, up to $50,000, to Make-A-Wish to help create happy holidays for wish kids. Known as the ultimate toy registry, the Toys“R”Us Wish List is a service parents and kids can use together to create a tailored list of toys based not only on what the child wants, but on his or her age, interests and abilities.
In addition to the Wish List campaign, the Toys"R"Us Children's Fund, a public charity affiliated with Toys"R"Us, Inc., has provided Make-A-Wish with $450,000 in grants this year to support wish-granting activities across the country. This is the second consecutive year the company has run a promotion of this kind to benefit Make-A-Wish during the holiday season.
“Throughout the year, Toys“R”Us stores have the privilege of seeing the joy on the faces of wish kids, as we help Make-A-Wish to grant their shopping spree wishes,” said Peter Reiner, Senior Vice President, Marketing, Toys“R”Us, U.S. “Over the last three years, more than one million Wish Lists have been created. Now, building these lists has taken on new meaning for families by allowing them to help make wishes come true for some very special kids through Make-A-Wish.”
Wish Lists can be created in-store or online at Toysrus.com/WishList, and over the next three weeks, for every Wish List created, the company will donate $1 in gift cards, up to $50,000, to Make-A-Wish. Wish kids often request visits to amusement parks, vacations for their families or meet-and-greets with favorite celebrities; however approximately 12 percent of all wishes are for shopping sprees at their favorite stores, and many request to shop at Toys“R”Us. This holiday season, Toys“R”Us employees will help create memorable shopping experiences for wish kids when they visit stores nationwide.
During the campaign, Toys“R”Us stores across the nation will display special holiday signage with Make-A-Wish messaging to increase Wish List creation, while benefiting kids in need. In addition, the company has launched a dedicated microsite at Toysrus.com/MakeAWish and is promoting the campaign online through its official Facebook page, Facebook.com/Toysrus, for those interested in learning more about creating a Wish List of their own.
“In the spirit of the holidays, families across the country have the opportunity to join Make-A-Wish and Toys“R”Us in helping bring joy and strength to wish kids through the Wish List campaign,” said David A. Williams, president and CEO of Make-A-Wish America. “Toys“R”Us is a favorite store among kids, and is a champion for Make-A-Wish and our efforts to reach more kids who are diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition each year and grant their one true wish. We are proud to expand our ongoing relationship with Toys“R”Us once again this holiday season.”
Over the past 16 years, the Toys“R”Us Children’s Fund and Toys“R”Us, Inc. have provided Make-A-Wish with more than $2.3 million to help make wishes come true for children facing life-threatening medical conditions. Throughout the year, shopping sprees are held at stores across the country, creating celebratory events for wish children as they are cheered on by Toys“R”Us employees and Geoffrey®the Giraffe.
Wish List: The Ultimate Toy Registry
Since Wish List launched in 2009, more than 1.5 million lists have been created by parents, along with their kids, for special occasions throughout the year. All Toys“R”Us stores nationwide feature a dedicated Wish List self-service kiosk, allowing gift-givers to print out their loved one’s Wish List quickly with the click of a button. Together with their children, parents can continue to browse and select products with scanning devices in Toys“R”Us stores to create or update an existing Wish List and can also access, update and print their wish lists online at Toysrus.com/WishList.
Wish List is also available via the Toy Guide smartphone apps for iPhone and Android, making it easy for on-the-go gift-givers to grant little ones’ wishes this holiday season. In addition, Toys“R”Us Toy Finder, a fully integrated iPad app, is a convenient way to create wish lists and get coupons on the move. Kids can browse through top toy picks and add their favorites to a Wish List that can be shared quickly through e-mail.
Customers who create a Wish List for their child will enjoy the following benefits:
- Customize a Child’s List with the RIGHT Toys – A Wish List guides gift-givers to products that are age-appropriate and suitable for an individual child’s skill level, helping to ensure that a child is not frustrated or bored with a toy.
- Set Expectations in Advance of the Big Day – The exercise of building a Wish List can be used as an opportunity to teach kids about the cost of certain products and which items are within a family’s budgetary reach, so they are not disappointed if they do not receive a particular toy.
- Rely on Expert Advice from THE Toy Authority – In making Wish List selections, toy-buyers can consult with the store’s knowledgeable associates or utilize the Gift Finder application on Toysrus.com for toy suggestions for a child’s Wish List.
- Share Wish Lists Easily with Gift-Givers Near and Far – Notifying friends and family of a Wish List is as easy as sending insert cards that include the registrant’s Wish List number. Wish Lists can be printed in-store at Wish List kiosks. They can also be shared via e-mail or through social networking sites, such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Avoid Duplicate Gifts – Once a gift is purchased, it is deducted from the Wish List, just like a gift registry, so kids do not receive more than one of the same gift.
- Simple Returns – Another advantage of creating a Wish List is that registrants do not have to worry about keeping receipts in the event they desire to make a return or exchange an item in-store that was purchased from their Wish List. Store employees can look up any Wish List transaction simply by revisiting the purchase history on the registrant’s list for easy returns. All other return guidelines apply.
About the Toys“R”Us Children’s Fund
The Toys“R”Us Children’s Fund is a public charity affiliated with Toys“R”Us, Inc., a company that unabashedly declares “We love kids!” The core mission of the Toys“R”Us Children’s Fund is to keep children safe and help them in times of need. Since it was founded in 1992, the Toys“R”Us Children’s Fund has contributed millions of dollars to qualified organizations that support that mission, including those providing disaster relief to children and families who are victims of large-scale crises. The Toys“R”Us Children’s Fund also provides grants to leading organizations that support children with special needs.
Make-A-Wish®grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy. According to a 2011 U.S. study of wish impact, most health professionals surveyed believe a wish-come-true can have positive impacts on the health of children. Kids say wishes give them renewed strength to fight their illnesses, and their parents say these experiences help strengthen the entire family. Based in Phoenix, Make-A-Wish is one of the world’s leading children’s charities, serving children in every community in the United States and its territories. With the help of generous donors and more than 25,000 volunteers, Make-A-Wish grants a wish somewhere in the country every 38 minutes. It has granted more than 212,000 wishes since its inception in 1980; nearly 14,000 in 2011 alone. To learn more, visit Make-A-Wish at wish.org.